Sunday, February 18, 2007

Why The Dunk Contest Should Have More Than 4 Guys In It

Seriously, why are there only four guys participating in it? I know it would take longer, but is that really a bad thing? I guess only when it takes someone 10+ tries to finish a dunk.

I wish I could say that I watched all of All-Star Saturday Night, last night, but I didn't. Hadn't seen my sister and her boyfriend in about a month so family responsibilities took precedent. But I did catch the main events of the night though, thanks to Las Vegas traffic apparently.

From what I heard, the Detroit team won the Shooting Stars contest. Wouldn't know, didn't watch it. Unfortunately I missed Dwyane Wade winning the skills challenge. My pick Chris Paul didn't get it done for me.

I did get to catch the Three-Point Shootout and Slam Dunk Contest though. My selecting, Mike Miller, didn't make it out of the first round thanks to Dirk Nowitzki. Agent 0 Gilbert Arenas finished second to Jason Kapono. You'd think that I would pick the guy leading the NBA in three point field goal percentage to win the contest, but no, I over thought it and picked someone else.

The Slam Dunk Contest was where it was at last night though. Tyrus Thomas? Here's your $18,000 check and please go home.

I wholeheartedly believe Dwight Howard got the shaft. Jumping as high as he can and putting that specially made sticker on the backboard was genius. The actual dunk, I'll admit, wasn't that great, but the show he made out of it was great. That is why I love the dunk contest.

One of the things that I also liked about the contest was the judging. Even though Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter should be in the contest as dunkers, not judges, Having some hall of fame dunkers on the panel was great.

I especially liked how stingy the G.O.A.T. was with his scores. It seemed like every time he said, "I can do that, so you only get an 8." But I think he should've given Howard a better score for his second dunk.

Oh yeah, and I picked Gerald Green to win it. The only pick I've gotten right so far this weekend. Watch out for Carmelo tonight though. He's still my pick for MVP. I did hear and interesting theory on Tony Parker for MVP because of the lack of point guards for the West tonight.

Once again, TNT did a great job with the coverage the entire night. I'm near depression right now because I missed Charles Barkley's race with Dick Bavetta, but I'll get over it. Eventually.

Quote of the Night: "That was just like Grandma's Kool-Aid, cuz it was sweeeeeeeeet!" - Kenny Smith

My goal is to take notes on tonight's All-Star game and have them posted tonight or early tomorrow.