Friday, March 30, 2007

Is It Saturday Night Yet?

Two posts in one day? I'm as shocked as you are. Actually, after my Greg Oden post earlier, I felt the need to type out some random thoughts like I usually do. So let's get it.
  • I can't explain how excited I am for the Final Four tomorrow. I'm actually considering skipping my friends' toga party tomorrow night to watch the game. Well, maybe not skip, but at least show up late.
  • When David Stern first instituted the rule saying players had to be one year removed from their high school graduating class to enter the NBA, I was skeptical to say the least. No more. I have loved watching the tournament so far this year, especially the later rounds, and I have no one to thank but the Don. I hope every tournament from now on is this competitive with this much star-power.
  • I love how whenever people mention high school senior Kevin Love, who is headed to UCLA next year, they feel the need to emphasize his outlet pass. I understand that outlet passing is even more of a lost art than the mid-range jumpshot, but still, it makes me smile.
  • Okay, just watched some highlights of Love on YouTube. Yeah, his outlet pass is pretty impressive. Moving on.
  • I read the New York Times article on O.J. Mayo and his "recruitment" to USC. It took me a few days to figure out what I thought about it and I don't think I'll be able to explain it all in a short bullet point. I think it needs a post all to itself. (Note: you may have to register to view the article, so check out BugMeNot.com)
  • With all of the teams in the NBA who have no hope at making the playoffs doing their best to unintentionally tank the season, I'm waiting for someone to come out and do it without denying it or showing any remorse. The Bucks came close the other night when Michael Redd was shooting 14-18 through three quarters and then they sat him down for the first nine minutes of the fourth quarter and refused to pass him the ball down the stretch in losing to the Mavs. One team should just shut down the rest of their talented players for the rest of the season and call up as many NBDL players as they can. See if that will draw a fine. That would say more to Kevin Durant and Greg Oden that we want you to come out now and play for us than sitting and having small talk with one of their moms.

This post was a lot more than random thoughts. Whatever, I can't wait for the Final Four.