Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Madness

I'm on spring break right now, so things have finally died down. I actually have free time that I'm not spending asleep. I was able to watch a ton of college basketball this weekend but not much NBA. In my opinion, as far as basketball goes, this is probably the best time of the year. The conference tournaments and NCAA tournament in the college ranks and the stretch run before the playoffs in the NBA. It doesn't get much better than that.

I watched a lot of the Big 12 tournament mostly just to watch Kevin Durant play. The more I watch of him, the more impressed by him I am. He can score in pretty much any way. If he gets a look at the rim, chances are good that the shot is going in. He has a little trouble getting the ball sometimes, I think that's partly due to his lack of strength, but that's his main offensive weakness. That and his ability to set-up his teammates. I know he's not a point guard, but I haven't seen him make many plays for his teammates.

I got to watch some of Greg Oden this weekend also. Though he's not as spectacular to watch as Durant, I think if I was starting a team, I would go with Oden over Durant. I think it's better to build a team around a player like Oden than it is a player like Durant.

But what it really comes down to in the draft this year, assuming both leave college for the NBA, is the team you have right now. If the Celtics get the first pick, they should take a Durant. They've got a good low post presence with Al Jefferson. But if Memphis gets the first pick, I believe they should take Oden. They don't have a strong low post presence and pairing Oden with Pau Gasol would automatically give Memphis one of the best front courts in the league.

It all comes down to who you have on your team, how long you're going to have those guys around, and what style of play you are going to play as to who you draft first, Oden or Durant. But number don't lie, and dominant centers win more NBA championships than dominant swingmen, unless your name is Michael Jordan.