Thursday, March 15, 2007

NCAA Tournament Day 1

Some random notes during the first day of the NCAA tournament:
  • Stephen Curry really impressed me during Davidson's first round game against Maryland. If you watched the game, you were beaten over the head with the fact that he is the son of former Hornets sharpshooter Dell Curry.
  • Curry (the younger) was impressive with his obviously good shooting stroke, excellent passing, and big-game swagger. Watching him play I could hear Mike D'Antoni in Phoenix salivating. He's just the 10th leading scorer in college basketball, with a game that his perfect for his Suns' system, and oh yeah, he's a freshman.
  • Speaking of Curry having an NBA dad, how come every time we watch a player whose parent, sibling, or other relative is a former star athlete, we are reminded of that fact whenever possible? How many casual basketball fans have actually heard of Dell Curry? I have, but I'm a nerd when it comes to things like that. I should know. But casual fans watching the tournament, if he didn't make at least one All-Star team, they don't care.
  • I watched a little bit of Louisville's shellacking of Stanford and there was one thing I noticed, there has been talk of Stanford center Brook Lopez being a top 10 pick, but from what I saw, he was owned by David Padgett. I understand that Padgett is a junior and Lopez is just a freshman, but still. I need to see a lot more than someone playing well in the severely disappointing Pac-10 for them to be considered a top 10 pick, especially in this draft.
  • It's a shame Davidson lost, they were fun to watch. They played very fast paced and played hard, but ultimately they got tired and Maryland pulled away.
  • After the first wave of games (3 games) my bracket is perfect. I'm pretty sure I just jinxed myself.
  • Next up: Belmont vs. Georgetown. Jay Bilas is commentating on this game. This won't be annoying or anything.
  • While Verne Lundquist and Jay Bilas talk about Georgetown coach John Thompson III, a graphic comes up showing his record and the camera cuts to...the security guard. Well, he's black, so at least they got that part right.
  • Bilas mentions that one of the players for Belmont can "hit an open shot if you give it to him." I'm pretty sure that 95% of the players in the tournament can do that too, but thanks for the expert analysis.
  • Jeff Green = nice. And I mean that in the way New Yorkers use it.
  • Georgetown center Roy Hibbert is a good passer out of the double.
  • Actually, Hibbert is just a good passer, period.
  • Jeremiah Rivers? Great, another kid with an NBA dad. (Doc Rivers if you couldn't guess)
  • Georgetown starting to build a lead. Probably because they're playing Hickory High School, sans Jimmy Chitwood.
  • Jay Bilas just said Belmont coach Rick Bird "likes to take you back door after timeouts." I feel violated.
  • Looking at Georgetown's gray jerseys, I couldn't help but think that they should all be wearing the white/gray Air Jordan XIX's. Why? I don't know.
  • Andrew Preston for Belmont looks like Dennis from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.
  • "He's a scratch golfer and that one scratched his nerves." Verne Lundquist should be fired.
  • Halftime of GU-Belmont, so I'm going to Oral Roberts-Washington State. James Brown is doing commentary? The Godfather of NFL Pregame Shows is working overtime at CBS.
  • Oral Roberts has a guard named Ken Tutt. Awesome.
  • Oral-Wazzu is boring. I wish I could turn to Texas A&M-Penn, but I can't because of local blackout rules and whatnot.
  • Vealy, Tutt, Liberty, Oral Roberts has got some great last names.
  • Wazzu has made as many baskets as Oral Roberts has shots taken so far in the second half (11/17 to 5/11), not good.
  • Kyle Weaver (Wazzu) just smashed on somebody on Oral Roberts.
  • With Wazzu up 55-47, I'm going back to GU-Belmont.
  • GU swings the ball away from Hibbert, probably just to mess with him.
  • Hibbert is Rick Rossin'. (Hustlin')
  • GU is dominating. I'm moving to Old Dominion-Butler.
  • Thank God for March Madness on Demand. I'd be pissed if I had to miss all these games because of work. Instead, I'm getting paid while I'm watching them.
  • The best part of the first round is that there are too many teams playing for CBS to do the cheesy puff pieces already.
  • Butler "makin' it rain" and pulling away from ODU.
  • I just looked at the scoreboard and apparently Texas A&M is now losing to Penn. They've been outscored 21-6 in the 2nd half so far. No good can come of this.
  • George Washington-Vanderbilt. Two schools named after dead white guys.
  • GW's coach looks like a black Hannibal Lecter.
  • I've got GW upsetting Vandy in the first round. Why? Because George Washington could kick Cornelius Vanderbilt's ass any day.
  • If you don't have an angle from the block to the rim in the post, please shoot a hook shot. Please.
  • A player for Vandy's last name is Skuchas (pronounced scoo-ches). I feel a Jay and Silent Bob reference coming.
  • Vandy up 13-2 early.

Time to go home. I'm done with notes for today. Time to just enjoy the games.