Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Running a Little Late

I try to usually do my posts sometime in the morning, afternoon at the latest, but today it was not to be. At least I got something posted, but it was still really late. Do I have a reason for posting later than usual? Sort of. It's been a weird day all around after having slept through my first class today. So that in addition to being addicted to the new Godfather video game has left me with no time or motivation to post something. But I fought through all that and here I am.

Last night's National Championship was very uneventful. Congratulations to the Gators and all, but make it a game or something. The game was practically over ten minutes in. With the college season over, we focus on who will be going and who will be staying for next year. I think that guys like Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas, two guys who really made their names playing in the tournament, should stay again next year and develop. But I doubt either will. The chances that their stock will be this high next year is unlikely, so I'm guessing both will be gone.

Some other big news from this weekend was the announcements of the Hall of Fame inductees. Charles Barkley, Joe Dumars, Geno Auriemma, Dominique Wilkins, and a pair of lesser known coaches made the cut. Luckily, Dick Vitale didn't.

I remember during the 1996-97 season when the Spurs were having one of their worst seasons in history, they were so decimated by injuries that they signed Dominique Wilkins for the season. He was so much fun to watch despite the fact that he no longer had the explosiveness that he was famous for. Even though he was past his prime, he still average 18 points and six rebounds per game. Then that summer, the Spurs drafted Tim Duncan, everybody got healthy, and the rest is history. Nique went on to play one more season with the Magic and then retire. But I'll never forget that season he spent with the Spurs. I was hoping that the Spurs would resign Nique to play alongside Duncan and David Robinson. But it never happened.

No NBA games last night, but plenty tonight. I'll try to have a post earlier tomorrow. Adios.