Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Best Advice I Can Give

Late post today. I've been forced to work the phones today. And I was doing it like a pro if I do say so myself. Well the sixteen teams for the playoffs are set. But, who is going to play who isn't. But after tonight, a lot of that could be resolved.

Today though, we're going to take a look at a lot of the college players who have declared for the NBA draft early.
LeMarcus Aldridge (Texas) -- Considered entering the draft out of high school, but thought better of it. After a hip injury prematurely ended his freshmen season, Aldridge came back for his sophomore season. He averaged 15 points and 9 rebounds per game. He will most likely be a top 5 pick, and I think that he has the tools to be a very good NBA player.

Josh Boone (UCONN) -- If he puts on some more muscle, he could be a good back up power forward for most of his career. I don't see anything that makes me think he will be a great player, or even an All-Star. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a lottery pick.

Guillermo Diaz (Miami) -- Probably should go back for his senior season. He's either a point guard who shoots too much, or a shooting guard who's too small. Either way, he's athletic as hell but I don't think he'll make a huge impact in the NBA.

Rudy Gay (UCONN) -- I think ten years from now, he's going to be the best player from this draft. There are a lot of question marks around him right now, many of them about his character and work ethic, but I believe he's the best player in this draft.
Adam Morrison (Gonzaga) -- I'm stuck on Morrison. I can't figure out if he's going to be a really good NBA player, an average one, or if he's going to have trouble adjusting to the league. I'm interested to see how he'll turn out. I don't think it's a bad move for him to enter the draft, I would've been more surprised if he'd stayed in school.

Rajon Rondo (Kentucky) -- Go back to school.

Mustafa Shakur (Arizona) -- Go back to school.

Tyrus Thomas (LSU) -- HUGE go back to school. I understand that his draft stock will probably never be higher than it is right now, but he should stay a year or two or three more in college to develop his game and mature. I think that if he stays in the draft this year, he's not going to be anything more than a Stromile Swift type player, someone who is an athletic big man who can dunk the ball and rebound pretty well, but doesn't do much else. Not worthy of the top pick in the draft.

So there you go. Some of the players that have officially entered their names into the draft. More will come in the next few weeks, and maybe we'll go back and do it again with those guys. Either way, email me and let me know what you think about what I've said or how you think some of these guys are going to do in the league. See you tomorrow.