Friday, January 26, 2007

Viva Las Vegas

I just wanted to be the first to use that headline before everyone else overuses it to death. So remember, you saw it here first. For a while.

I was able to catch a fair amount of basketball last night, which makes me very happy. Attended the Texas State-Stephen F. Austin basketball game and watch my school, Texas State, get dominated inside by the Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin. Then I made it home to catch the end of the Mavericks-Bulls game, where Ben Gordon dropped 30 and got the W. Finally I caught the first half of the Clippers-Nets game. I saw the highlights of the second half though, good stuff. I kind of wish I stayed around to watch the whole thing. Oh well, we can't have everything.

What I want to know is when the Clips are going to get their act together. They've got way too much talent not to be at least second in the Pacific division. It kind of reminds me of what happened in 2004-2005 to the Timberwolves after Minnesota made the conference finals the year before and then fell off the next. They got a little success and then started complaining about things. Latrell Spreewell complained about not being able to feed his kids and Sam Cassell, who is on this Clippers team too incidentally, had contract issues too.

The All-Star starters were announced yesterday and there were some surprises there. How does Steve Nash not get named a starter? He was named a starter last year, and after having won his second MVP in a row is having an even better season this year. It baffles me. Gilbert Arenas beat out Vince Carter by 3010 votes, which is an incredibly small number when we're talking about over 1.2 million votes each. I guess the boxes of ballots he traded for this year worked.

As much as I love Tim Duncan, he shouldn't have been named a starter for the West. Dirk Nowitzki deserves to be a starter and I'm very surprised that he didn't get the nod based on the season the Mavs are having and the general lack of interest surrounding Duncan. Nonetheless he'll be selected as a reserve. Yao Ming was selected as a starter by the entire nation of China, just so you know, although he won't play due to a knee injury.

I'm glad to see big Chris Bosh get voted as a starter. The kid the real deal and he'll probably be a starter for years to come, especially in the East. I love Shaq but I want see Dwight Howard get the start. A frontcourt of Howard, Bosh and LeBron James would be sick. I would love to see that lineup in international play. Oh wait....