Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Beginning To Move On

Yes, the Clippers won last night. I'll let all the national sports websites let you know all about that, I'm just going to tell you that I have begun shopping for materials to build my shelter and if you know anyone who can help build it for cheap, email me here. The Mavericks continued the Grizzlies playoff torture last night, sweeping them 4-0.

But because all of the mainstream media is focusing on those two matchups from last night, we're going to talk about the other series. The Pistons beat the Bucks last night 109-99. Chauncey Billups had 34 and 6 assists including 16-16 from the freethrow line. Holy crap. Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince each chipped in 18 points. For the Bucks, Michael Redd had 33 points and T.J. Ford had 21. So now the series goes back to Detroit where the Bucks will not win.

As a Spurs fan, the Pistons honestly scare the ish out of me. This team is a lot more solid and consistent than it was last year. I still believe that their bench is weak and if they had an injury or two and/or got into foul problems, they could be in trouble. But so far, that hasn't happened. I believe that the Spurs can beat any team they face, except the Pistons. Not to say that they can't beat the Pistons. I just think that if they played every other team in the league in a 7 game series, they would win at least 7 out of 10 times. But against the Pistons, I think that they would split it. These teams are that good.

And despite what I think as a Spurs fan, I believe that this is great for the NBA. The league hasn't had a rivalry like this in while. There were the Kings-Lakers games from a few years ago, and the Bulls-Knicks during the 90's. But we haven't seen an interconference rivalry like this that should meet in the Finals year after year in some time. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one. You would probably have to go back to the late 80's/early 90's when the Lakers were at their prime along with the Celtics, Pistons and up and coming Bulls.

Even though the ratings for this Finals last year were bad and casual fans didn't appreciate the tough, physical, half-court style of playoff basketball that these teams played, a rivalry like this is what the NBA needs.

David Stern has done great job marketing the league, placing stars over teams, but there needs to be a balance. Great teams need to be marketed just as much as great players. And what better way for that to happen when these two teams meet in the Finals for the second year in a row.

Now if the Spurs can just do their part and finish off Sacramento.